CTEP AmeriCorps Book Club
Enjoy reading, but too busy serving the community?
Now you have a great excuse to sit down in your favorite chair with a cup of tea and read leisurely: the CTEP AmeriCorps Book Club!
Earn 10 training hours per month! Here’s how:
Read a book that relates to the themes of community, technology and the digital divide, tech manuals, educational theory, poverty, multiculturalism, civic engagement, working with the disability community, empowerment, or your host site.
Provide 3 paragraphs:
1) Give a brief summary of the main arguments of the books
2) Explaining how the book directly relates to your AmeriCorps experience
3) Explain why other CTEP AmeriCorps members should read the book (or why not!).
Post your paragraphs in the CTEP Members Book Club Group Page:
- First, log in to the Member Portal.
- Navigate to the "Groups Tab," and click on the CTEP Member Book Club Group.
- Once you are in the CTEP Member Book Club Group Page, click "Write a post"
- Tag your post: Book Club Reflection.
- Feel free to respond to other CTEP member's reflections! If you do, make sure to tag your post as: Response to Book Club Reflection.
It’s a great way to take responsibility for your professional development, and relax at the same time. You could also use the book club forums to get others reading the book at the same time, or work at your own pace.
Remember that training is limited to 20% of your total hours, and there is a maximum of 10 book club hours, per member, per month. This would include the time that you write your reflection. Of course, you don’t have to finish the book in one month. But, if book club will put you over the 20% mark, you won’t receive hours for it. Plan ahead!
Please log these book hours all on one day on your timesheet, after you have completed your reflection. This should fall on a day that you are not serving at your site, such as Saturday or Sunday. That way it will not appear that you worked 17 hours in one day (10 hours book report + 7 hours at site), which would appear strange to a reviewer.
CTEP staff will review your reflection and let you know if it is insufficient based on failing to answer the questions above or making enough of a direct connection to your service year. We may ask you to resubmit your reflection, or not count the hours. If you are unsure as to if a book sufficiently relates to your AmeriCorps experience, let CTEP staff know beforehand and we can help you decide.
Enjoy reading and growing!